lostinfictionalworlds

Lost in Fictional Worlds

A YA (and occasionally Adult) book review blog run by a crazy Australian for those who like to meander through fictional wonderlands.

A Clash of Kings

Format: Paperback
Source: Library
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Read: November 2012

Ally Ryan, come on down to the Jersey Shore and forget your troubles!

Have you recently been humiliated in front of your friends and family at your former best friend's birthday party? Was your almost-boyfriend partly responsible for that humiliation by withholding some vital information about where your estranged father is? Did you come home to find said estranged father sitting on your stoop?

If so, then it sounds like you could use a vacation! The Jersey Shore is the place to be. Your mother may be living with her boyfriend of only a few months, but at least the stunt Shannen pulled has put some of your friends back in your court. Even so, you're still angry and what better way to get over Jake than to blow off some steam with local guy, Cooper. People will hardly recognize your new attitude, but the old one wasn't getting you anywhere, so who cares!

Jake Graydon, an exciting opportunity is waiting for you in the service industry!

Are your grades so low your parents have grounded you for the summer? Did the girl you really like unceremoniously leave you behind? Would you rather eat dirt than see your friends again? Then a job at the local coffee shop is just the ticket! Surprisingly, Ally's father is the new manager so you get to be reminded of her nearly every day. Maybe it's time to start flirting with your best friend's ex or even taking school a bit more seriously. Especially when you finally see Ally and she's hanging around with some loser and it couldn't be more clear that she is over you.

Have a great summer!

Thoughts:

He's So Not Worth It picks up a few weeks after She's So Dead To Us, and it's a sequel that proves to be almost as good as the first novel. The character relationships are developed better, some new people are introduced, and there is a tonne of drama going on. All of which builds for great conflict and reading.

One of the concerns I had when starting this book was about the romance--how was Scott going to keep the tension when the two characters were seperated? Beautifully, apparently. Jake and Ally had flings with other people, but still thought about each other and what they could/should have said when they last interacted, etc, etc, and somehow it still made me

Then there were the times when I really just wanted to hit them because they did make some pretty stupid decisions. Well, Ally did this time (Jake made all the stupid mistakes in the first book, although there is that whole Chloe issue. Chloe herself has gone wild and made REALLY bad decisions). Rather than face what was happening with her parents (poor girl), she ran and met a group of locals who steal their beer, drink into oblivion and do more stupid things. And she gets involved with the dickhead Cooper, who is an arsehole for reasons I won't name here yet important for Allie's development of her character and relationship with Jake. I'm just so grateful the hilarious and witty Annie as around more in this book. She was one of the best parts.

Another of the best parts? THAT BLOODY CLIFFHANGER ENDING
I mean, I hated it because it just ended, but Scott just does them so well. In literally the last sentence she drops this massive bomb that just tears the world apart and leaves you hanging for the next one (which my library doesn't have!!)

Overall, this sequel was good, but not quite as good as the first book. The romance was maintained and developed, some awesome characters got more page time, and others made really stupid decisions. That was the most frustrating part of the book. As was the cliffhanger. I'm hoping the third and final book will end a bit happier. Hopefully. I NEED MY OTP TO BE TOGETHER OKAY.

Rating:

3/5

Recommended For:

People who've read the first book (obviously) and are looking for an easy, breezy ,beautiful covergirl read.

Find the Book: