lostinfictionalworlds

Lost in Fictional Worlds

A YA (and occasionally Adult) book review blog run by a crazy Australian for those who like to meander through fictional wonderlands.

A Clash of Kings

Format: Australian paperback
Pages: 278
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Reread: November 2012

When having money is all that matters, what happens when you lose it all Perfect, picturesque Orchard Hill. It was the last thing Ally Ryan saw in the rear-view mirror as her mother drove them out of town and away from the shame of the scandal her father caused when his business deals left her family penniless and almost bankrupted all their friends - friends that liked having trust funds and new cars, and that didn't like constant reminders that they had been swindled. So it was adios, Orchard Hill. Thanks for nothing.

But now, two years later, just as Ally is starting to feel happy again, her mother has accepted a job back at the site of their downfall and that means that Ally is forced to face her old "friends" again. And as if dealing with past demons, and current grudges, wasn't enough things get even more confusing when Ally meets the handsome, wealthy and totally into her Jake Graydon, who just happens to live in Ally's old house and be part of the clique that she left behind… complicated much? Ally was hoping to have left all the drama in the past, but she's quickly discovering that some things just can't be forgotten.

Thoughts:

I first read She's So Dead To Us a few years ago and pleasantly remember it as a pleasant, lighthearted read that I devoured in minimum sittings. Unfortunately, back then the sequel wasn't released and I'd borrowed this book from the library. So back it went, taking a piece of me with it. I would think of it every now and then, but never got around to looking it back up. Until now. And I'm so glad I did, because this reread lived up to my memories.

This more romantic, contemporary genre of YA is my not-so-guilty pleasure. I love the blooming romance that makes you feel all squishy on the inside as your OTP interacts--bickering, hanging out, trying to resist the oh-so-obvious sexual tension (much to our love and frustration). The relationship between Ally and Jake (if we can even call that yet--it's a really complicated one) is one of my all time favourites. They're both such great characters that are easy to identify with and compliment each other well. (more than) Half the time they're together I'm reaching out my imaginary hands and

The other characters in this book are also great, and individual! Each has their own backstory that has shaped them, and their personality reflects that. I connected on some level with most of them, or at least felt empathy towards them--even the ones I wanted to cause pain to, like Shannen.

Pacing and plot wise, it's character driven, which normally means it slower and harder to keep my attention. But She's So Dead to Us manages to move very quickly and easily kept my attention. Its shorter length adds to the reading speed. I finished it (both times I read it) in less than a day total.

She's So Dead to Us is a novel I really need to buy soon, otherwise I'm going to be paying a lot of library fees. It's the type of 'pick up and read' novel I love to devour when I've had enough of my usual stuff. The wonderful and frustrating romance, small-ish size, and fast pacing are what appealed to me most. It's definitely a novel I'll reread again in the future.

Rating:

4/5

Recommend For:

Suckers of YA romance (like me)

Find the Book:

Source: http://lostinfictionalworlds.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/reread-review-shes-so-dead-to-us.html